Monday, February 25, 2008

Toward the Future/From the Past

1. After completing my first play I found it something to be very interesting. With limited ways to express your ideas, it proved itself to be very difficult. The one thing I had a problem with was that it was very difficult to establish the plot line without narration. I was forced to lay out the plot and all the characterization strictly through stage directions and dialogue. To my surprise I actualy found this type or writing enjoyable. I liked having the power to construct my own on set piece of work and control all the stage directions. One negative surprise I came across when writing the play was again the diffciculty in establishing a detailed plot and the frustration of typing dialogue.

2. If I were to give advice to a ten year-old I would give them as much advice as I could regarding high school and how to make it through successfully. In order to provide them with the best advice, I would compile many thoughts and ideas from various people who seem to succeed throughout their high school years. Naturally, some of the information would come from my personal experiences however I would also give him advice regarding some of the mistakes I have made in which could be avoided. I feel this would both give them the positives and the negatives in which would aid them in completing their high school life. I wouldn't want to scare or overwhelm anyone however, it would be stricly beneficial.

3. In my opinion, great literature is either derived from something that is enjoyed by everyone who reads it and is passed on continually due to its popularity or a piece of literature that expresses a significant idea or breakthrough that is accepted by everyone. Personally, I have only read classic novels that were composed with the intent of entertainment however in the near future I hope to read classic novels regarding philosophy or politics. I could never see myself composing something like this because with every widely accepted piece of work comes controversy. The authors at times get into trouble for the works of art they have composed.

3 comments:

Alex R said...

writing as a play definitely limited your options, I think writing a novel would be more worthwhile.

Mr. Miles said...

I think the really well-written classics typically have a depth of character typical of great literature AND great stories. To me, if the story isn't great, I don't care what kind of depth the work has or what it has to say. I want to enjoy the story first. I think that's how it is for most people.

Sean said...

I see exactly how not being able to narrate our plays can hurt and bringing out characterization or information through lines and/or movements can be tough to do